2008 End Of The Year Meme
Michelle over at Bleeding Espresso recently posted her end of the year meme. Like many of you, I like to reflect on the year that has passed and look at my accomplishments and set my goals for the following year. This year was an extremely difficult year as it was the year of firsts without my father. I hope that 2009 will bring with it happiness, health, and only good things for both myself and all of you! 🙂
So here it goes…here is my end of the year meme copied from Michelle! 🙂
1.What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? Started writing my blog, traveled to Italy without my father, had a conversation with my nonna in Italy with no translator!
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I didn’t really have a new year’s resolution. I made one a few years ago to read at least 3 books a year. It was great because I rediscovered my love of reading and surpassed my original resolution. I have sort of continued that “resolution” over the years. This time around I will set some goals for myself that I have already begun working towards!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? No one close to me has given birth but a very good friend of mine is pregnant and due next year! I’m so happy for her and her husband!
4. Did anyone close to you die? This year a great aunt passed away although we weren’t close it was still very sad.
5. What countries did you visit? Italy, and it was a life changing experience for me.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? A job and life in Italy.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? August 12th – September 10th without a doubt. I spent an amazing 4 weeks with my family in Italy and learned so much about my father, my family, and myself.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Increasing my knowledge of the Italian language and being able to use it to communicate with my nonna in Italy.
9. What was your biggest failure? Not spending enough time focusing on jump starting my freelance writing work.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Thankfully, I did not. However, my sister had her appendix removed and my mother had a few bumps and bruises.
11. What was the best thing you bought? My plane ticket to Italy!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My brother! I am so proud of him and he has been such a rock for me since my father passed away. Who knew a little brother could be so wise! 🙂 I love you!!
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? I will not go into detail but there are some people who I am sad to say have hurt my family and I.
14. Where did most of your money go? My car. But the lease is up and it’s going back. I have more important things to use that money for. (See Question #6)
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? My trip to Italy and seeing my nonna after so much time had passed.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008? There are a couple, Just Dance Lady Gaga, and Gisuy Ferrari Non Ti Scordar Mai Di Me
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer? Considering how difficult 2007 was for me I think I am happier but it is always a struggle and I am learning to move forward and live my life the way I know my father would want me to!
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Worked on getting some freelance writing work.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Letting people and their actions hurt me or bring me down.
20. How did you spend Christmas? With my Zio & Zia and my cousins. It is how we spent many Christmas’ growing up and we have returned to that tradition since my father passed away. Being around family has helped make Christmas a happy occasion again.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008? I fell in love with Italy all over again! 🙂
22. What was your favorite TV program? Hmmm, I don’t really have a favourite TV program. I got hooked on Dexter and I always enjoy Entourage.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? I may dislike some people, but I make an effort to keep negativity out of my life.
24. What was the best book you read? Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I really enjoyed her writing style.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery? I wasn’t too impressed with the music that came out this year (both independent and major).
26. What did you want and get? I wanted to see my nonna in Italy.
27. What did you want and not get? I don’t tend to want a lot of things. I can’t think of something that I really wanted and sadly didn’t get.
28. What was your favorite film of this year? Sex & The City.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 30, and my cousin made me a wonderful dinner. She is awesome! 🙂
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? If I didn’t have to get on the plane back to Canada!
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? Whatever fits and looks good!
32. What kept you sane? Writing my blog, talks with my brother, and going to Italy.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Riccardo Scamarcio. I don’t know how I found him, but I’ve watched all his movies and I adore him. He makes Italian listening comprehension more interesting! 🙂
34. What political issue stirred you the most? I dislike politics!
35. Who did you miss? Firstly, I miss my dad. Secondly, since returning from Italy, I miss my nonna and the rest of my family and also the friends I made there.
36. Who was the best new person you met? I was so blessed to have met a truly wonderful person from my father’s town in Carpanzano. She and I hung out and really bonded and she is someone I can now call a good friend! 🙂 Even though we talk almost every day I miss her!
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. Family is the most important thing.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. This year is the first year I spent without my father. It was hard. I found this song by Paul Simon called “Father and Daughter” and the lyrics were just beautiful. My father told me before he passed away that he would always be with me watching over me and I believe that to be true.
I’m gonna watch you shine
Gonna watch you grow
Gonna paint a sign
So you’ll always know
As long as one and one is two wooo
There could never be a father who loved
His daughter more than I love you