2009 End of the Year Meme
I decided to do the End of the Year Meme again for 2009 because I really enjoyed doing last year’s meme. I think it’s a wonderful way to look back on the year. I was hoping to post this before the New Year, but a really ugly cold had other plans for me. So here it is, my 2009 End of the Year Meme.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Like I mentioned last year, I don’t tend to make resolutions. I like to focus on ways to improve on things in my life and look at ways to reach any goals I may have. I wanted to focus this year on paying off debts and getting as prepared as possible for my move to Italy. Although it happened a bit later on in the game, I’m happy that things are finally falling into place.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Two of my good friends had babies this year.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Thankfully, no one close to me passed away this year.
5. What countries did you visit? I stayed in Canada this year.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? The same thing as last year – A job and life in Italy.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? March 7th my sister got married, March 20th when I found out my Italian Citizenship was approved.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Finally getting my Italian passport!
9. What was your biggest failure? I felt defeated when my plans to move to Italy in October didn’t work out. But, I have risen above it and things will be better because of it!
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? No I didn’t, thank goodness.
11. What was the best thing you bought? My biggest purchase this year was my laptop and it has been awesome.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? All of my amazing friends and family who have helped lift me up during my downs and celebrated my ups with me.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? No one comes to mind; I guess keeping negativity out of my life has been working better than I thought!
14. Where did most of your money go? Most of my money has gone to paying off debts.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? The obvious answer would have to be getting my Italian citizenship and passport.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009? My brother helped me out with this one: Don’t Stop Believin’ – Glee Cast Version
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer? This year has been more positive. I am definitely happier, healthier and richer (aka less in debt)!
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? I wish I did more writing. Not just for my blog, but in general.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? There were times when I felt I had all the time in the world to do things. I wish I spent less time procrastinating and more time fulfilling my goals.
20. How did you spend Christmas? Christmas Eve with my father’s side of the family, Christmas Day with my mother’s side of the family, and a phone call to Italy to send them my love and holiday wishes.
21. Did you fall in love in 2009? No, I am still very much in love with Italy!
22. What was your favorite TV program? Three shows really had my hooked this year – Glee, Dexter, and How I Met Your Mother.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Hate is such a negative thing and I want less of it in my life.
24. What was the best book you read? It’s a toss-up between the Twilight Series and Nino Ricci’s trilogy, “Lives of the Saints”
25. What was your greatest musical discovery? Les Boyz Electro. Check them out!
26. What did you want and get? Italian Citizenship and passport.
27. What did you want and not get? A one-way plane ticket to Italy.
28. What was your favorite film of this year? I can’t think of one movie that blew me away this year.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 31 (shhhhh), and had a wonderful dinner with my amazing family!
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? If I was in Italy right now.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009? Hasn’t changed too much, I have a few new scarves/pashminas in my closet though.
32. What kept you sane? My amazing family and friends.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I can’t really think of anyone, maybe Nicolas Vaporidis.
34. What political issue stirred you the most? I dislike politics!
35. Who did you miss? I miss my dad and my family/friends in Italy.
36. Who was the best new person you met? I didn’t really meet anyone new this year. I’ve been spending most of my free time with my close friends.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009. Don’t ever give up on your dreams and don’t ever settle for anything less than what you think you deserve.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Something has changed within me
Something is not the same
I’m through with playing by the rules
Of someone else’s game
Too late for second-guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It’s time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes: and leap!
Happy New Year, Buon 2010!!
We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year’s Day. ~Edith Lovejoy Pierce